Greengard Drug Co. was founded by pharmacist Louis Greengard in 1907 in downtown St. Louis, Missouri. With the entry of the United States into World War II in 1941, Mr. Greengard launched a successful telephone sales initiative to solicit pharmacy orders from nearby factories, sensing a latent demand for medicinal and first aid products to help keep workers as healthy as possible in order to support the war effort.
Mr. Greengard ultimately retired in 1961 when the company was purchased by the Daniels family, the owners of a number of pharmacies in the St. Louis area. In 1984, Todd Lewis, a member of the Daniels family, was brought on as the company’s first "outside" sales representative and he led a successful charge for the company broadening its product line and other business initiatives that led to significant growth. Renamed “Green Guard…the First Aid People,” with a keen focus on serving customer needs and achieving nationwide growth, the company became part of UniFirst Corporation in 1999. Today, Green Guard continues to be led by Mr. Lewis who now serves as Vice President of UniFirst’s First Aid Group.